The Obelisk of Lost Souls is the origin of the Shadowed Men, and exists in another dimension. According to lore, its masters observe and experiment upon the beings of Norrath.
The Orcs call the place Rakash'Azat. The Shadowmen themselves call it the Tower of Vul.
This is a very large dungeon with dozens of bosses spread across 4 different floors, covering a range of 15 levels. It is also one of the least-used dungeons by players, although farmers camp it heavily almost all the time, but still it a good alternative to the busier dungeons in this level range.
Most overland zones have entrances to the obelisk:
- The Feerrott: ( -961, 12, 502 ) /waypoint -961, 12, 502 - special entrance - see note below
- Antonica: ( -2220, -14, -953 ) /waypoint -2220.18, -13.88, -953.15
- The Commonlands: ( 1062, -37, -449 ) /waypoint 1061.59, -36.84, -449.17
- Nektulos Forest: ( -52, 89, -2251 ) /waypoint -51.89, 89.34, -2250.75
- Thundering Steppes: ( 1144, -18, 825 ) /waypoint 1143.53, -18.47, 824.59
- Zek, the Orcish Wastes: ( 1, 14, -157 ) /waypoint 1, 14, -157
- The Enchanted Lands: Camp Ghobber ( -773, 0, -976 ) /waypoint -773, 0, -976
The entrances look like purple clouds of mist. Note: the entrance can't be seen from far away unless your graphics settings are maxed, and it will not show up at all if you use Extreme Performance or Very High Performance settings.
To make the entrance appear (spawn), you need to clear level 35^^^ shadowman guardians around it (usually shadowed rift watchers). The Feerrott entrance is usually unguarded, however. After a while, the entrance will disappear (despawn).
The entrances lead to the cavern level, except for the Feerrott entrance. (See below.)
NOTE: The entrance in Feerrott allows players to skip the cavern and start inside the obelisk itself, thus bypassing the first locked door. However, if you die, your only option is to respawn in the cavern, so you will probably want to complete Entrance Into the Obelisk eventually.
- Cavern (level 37-40) Cave EQ2Map
- This is a vast open area surrounding the obelisk. The entrance/exit to the zone is at the north end of the cavern. You must complete a quest to open the door into the obelisk itself.
- Inspect a scroll at the cavern entrance to get the access quest Entrance Into the Obelisk to unlock the obelisk door.
- First Floor (level 41-43) 1st floor EQ2Map
- This floor contains numerous named mobs and a handful of quests. You must complete an access quest to open the door to the second floor.
- Speak to the The Book of Summoning ( -25, 590, 349 ) /waypoint -25.24, 590.28, 349.09 to get the access quest Summoning the Creator to unlock the door to the second floor. The door is located back where you entered into First Floor.
- Second Floor (level 43-46) 2nd floor EQ2Map
- Third Floor (level 46-50) 3rd floor EQ2Map
- This floor contains roughly 10 rooms, each of which can spawn a boss mob. You can easily move between rooms to farm the bosses.
- Each of the two southern rooms contains a ring event, which ends with a level 50 evil eye boss. There is a recycle time on the ring event. The quest List of Acquisitions for the Continuing of Research is earned at the end of the ring event, which leads you to The Vestibule instance.
- Note: An epic raid encounter (level 55 x3) is found in the northernmost room, consisting of three evil eyes.
- The Vestibule (level 47-50)
- This instance contains two additional ring events with named bosses.
- 18 hour reuse timer starts as soon as any mob is killed.
- Note: There is no longer any access quest for this instance.
- Wurmjaw (level 38 epic X2) - south end of cavern
- Zygoth the Watcher (level 39) - at obelisk door
- Soul Harvester Kul (level 37)
- Soul Harvester Zej (level 38)
- Soul Harvester Gron (level 39)
- Soul Harvester Na (level 40)
- Book of Summoning (level 44) - quest NPC
- The Creator of Shadows (level 44)
- The Harbinger (level 44)
- Torment Dervish (level 43)
- Avulsor (level 43) - in torture chamber
- Paraxroz (level 43) - in eastern room
- Troxlep (level 44) - can spawn at any spot in room (-30, 340)
- Xychlzys (level 44) - roams balcony in archive room (-20, 380)
- The Labyrinth Shadow (level 44) - roams maze - opens southern doors when killed
- Gorusk Flayfist and Bondur Flayfist (encountered, level 45) - spawn when the Keeper is hailed, after a wave of trashmobs
- Keeper of Nihility (level 45) - in lower room, accessed from south end - opens door to third level when killed
- Medium of Cron (level 50)
- Medium of Iza (level 49)
- Medium of Dyrt (level 48)
- Medium of Odris (level 48)
- Medium of Lysys (level 48)
- Medium of Norrath (level 50)
- Mitalla the Voice (level 50) - final mob of ring events in south-east room
- The Soloist (level 51) - final mob of ring events in south-west room
- Brixx (level 55) - epic raid
- Braxx (level 55) - epic raid
- Borxx (level 55) - epic raid
- Medium of Hykor (level 50) - opens second door when killed
- Malisient (level 49) - spawns after placing goblins on altar