About the Template[edit source]
Category:Sword Icons are listed now at Sword Icons, Sword Icons/2 and Sword Icons/3 splitted by every 25 icon numbers. The reason for the split is that there are to many parser calles if all icons are on 1 page and you can only see the first ~25 numbers (25*5=150 Icons). I'm not sure yet if it's a good way to make and overview, but i think it could be a great help to find the right icon.
What do you think? -- 19:49, March 27, 2011 (UTC)
- Great idea for quickly finding the icon. I think I have a way to solve the parser calls too... why not just give the redlinks a short name instead of using icon missing? IE if it was #34 legendary it would show up as a redlink like this: 34 L. That will make it easy to upload missing icons and allow them all to be put on one page, since we're no longer using those expensive ifexists parser functions. --lordebon 20:53, March 27, 2011 (UTC)
- Another quick thought: You could probably fit in 2 sets side-by-side so as to take up less space horizontally, even in wikia's new horribly thin skin. Also, I'd suggest a secondary template to take care of some of the work that you do manually in Sword Icons, one that you could pass a starting number (eg start at 1, 2, etc.), the # of digits the file names are padded to (eg Sword Icon ## is 2, vs one that might be Icon ####), and the max # (out of say 25) to go to as an optional parameter. --lordebon 21:08, March 27, 2011 (UTC)
- The parser function allso takes care if each icon is a png or jpg, i could add parameters for each icon to remove all parser calls, but then it would take more time to update them if jpg icon get's replaced with a png icon.
- User:Chillispike/Sandbox shows currently the changed version, i reduced the checks and now it can show 40*6 instead of 25*5 Icons (added mythical with new code)
- The manual work to write the numbers took me only a few seconds (Openoffice and texteditor can do wonders there), so i would like to keep it that way before i invest the time to play around with the code that can do it on his own.
- -- 21:37, March 27, 2011 (UTC)
- Ahh didn't think about that checking for png vs jpg, good point there. You can probably drop the mythical column... there's very few mythical items in game, so that'll just be a column of redlinks with the exception of a few specific instances. As for the manual/vs automating, I can put that together if you want but it's not a big deal either way, hehe :) --lordebon 23:15, March 27, 2011 (UTC)
- It's the expensive parser functions (generally #ifexist) that are limited to 250. The "automating" I'm talking about would just use normal non-expensive functions so you don't have to manually type out 40 lines of calls to IconPreview. I'll whip up an example to show what I mean with my dev template today. --lordebon 16:56, March 28, 2011 (UTC)
Tada!. A template that generates an entire 40-icon page given a single call with 4 parameters (see Template:Lordebon Dev for the code. Eliminates the need for the Header and Break templates and happily scales up to 360 icons maximum atm (easily expandable to much more when needed). I was thinking of Template:IconPreviewPage for the final name if think it works well, would certainly make putting together the icon preview pages a lot simpler :) --lordebon 02:48, March 31, 2011 (UTC)