Zones (By Harvestable Tier)
Minimum skill was removed for harvesting in Nov. 2013. Players can now gather materials in any zone regardless of skill level. The only benefits to leveling skill is an increase in the chance to harvest a rare, since you need the minimum skill of that tier to harvest a rare of that tier at all and to "fail" to harvest.
-  The minimum skill required to be able to harvest rares.
-  Some zones contain resource nodes for more than one tier.
Harvesting Quests and AA
- A few quests have been added to the game that help players understand which zones to visit to gather (harvest) materials and to increase skills. Because the quests are tied to crafting, see the Tradeskill Timeline for quests aimed at improving these skills.
- A Gathering Obsession Timeline is the gathering-themed signature quest series. The first series culminates in the award, Cloak of the Harvester, which improves both the chance to harvest rare materials of high value and more. The series continues into a signature quest series which awards a "pack pony" (spell) that can be "sent" out to gather materials for its owner every few hours.
- Players heavily invested in tradeskills and harvesting are wise to gain positive faction with the Far Seas Supply Division (Faction). If you follow the Tradeskill Timeline you will encounter this faction in Butcherblock for the first time and continue to meet their represntatives throughout the progression of your trade if you take up quests to increase your tradeskill levels and purchase special gear sold only by their merchants for Far Seas Trading Company Token that can aid you in gathering materials more efficiently, like the Pack Unicorn (mount).
- Tradeskill Alternate Advancement (Tradeskill AA) was added to benefit harvesting skills as well. Press L to open the AA window and you will see several tabs relating to tradeskills. The AA skills there can be used to increase the chance to harvest rares, to harvest more materials per try, and so on.
This new type of Harvesting was introduced with Blood of Luclin. To see these nodes you need to have a special "shadow"-buff, which enables you to see such nodes. There are two "items" available, which can cast this "Shadow"-Buff:
- Shadowed Staff of Luclin: Final reward of the Blood of Luclin Tradeskill Timeline.
- Glass Orb of Swirling Shadows: Randomly harvest of Harvestables (Tier 13)
Following new Harvestable are now availabl:
- Shadowed Zelniak Steak
- Shadowed Wracked Wood Wedge
- Shadowed Spruce Log
- Shadowed Slow Creeping Roots
- Shadowed Shrieker Mushroom
- Shadowed Rockhopper Meat
- Shadowed Rockhopper Meat
- Shadowed Pome
- Shadowed Lunar Mushroom
- Shadowed Lantern Hogfish
- Shadowed Jumping Creeper
- Shadowed Humming Azurite
- Shadowed Hardened Zelniak Pelt
- Shadowed Algae
- Harvestables (All) for a full list of harvested resources.