Swarm and dumbfire pets (a.k.a., combat pets) are creatures created for the sole purpose of attacking a particular mob. Once the targetted mob dies, the swarm pets become useless and will disappear; hence, the name "dumbfire." The spell caster calls for the pet, which is, in essence, dumb. It knows only to attack and then it dies. Swarm pets are merely groups of dumbfire pets that clutter up your screen nicely.
There are at least 3 dumbfire pets that continue to act and react beyond the life of the original target:
- Forge of Ro (Wizard) - Technically a pet that cannot move, it will continue to do damage to any enemy that contacts it thoughout its duration.
- Undead Tide (Necromancer) - After the original target dies, the tide will attack any enemy that harms its owner until the duration expires.
- Dark Infestation (Warlock) - After the original target dies, the dark broodlings will attack any enemy that harms its owner until the duration expires.
Although single dumbfire pets are created via class-specific spells, there are two means of obtaining swarm pets:
- Cast a summon swarm pet spell
- Use an item that invokes a swarm pet (tinkered items for the most part)
Like single dumbfire pets, summon swarm pet spells are class dependent. Some classes have these spells, some classes don't. Tinkered items that invoke swarm pets, however, require you to be a tinkerer to use the item.
All items (7)